* Committed SIM play

* we play 12 months a year

est 2009
If you have any issues logging on or registering, see if GREENERRRR is in the website chat (and get instant feedback) or contact him directly at greenerrrr@ps3maddengroup.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

* Committed SIM play

est 2009
If you have any issues logging on or registering, see if GREENERRRR is in the website chat (and get instant feedback) or contact him directly at greenerrrr@ps3maddengroup.com
* Committed SIM play

est 2009
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
groupme

groupme ID 5302641
maddenfantasydraft.com chat

if you want to chat about league text GREENERRRR at (289)241-4968 and he will invite you to groupme chat

Here's some help with connection issues

+4
Rui_F
saastar
Shlarman
phantomshark
8 posters

Go down

Here's some help with connection issues Empty Here's some help with connection issues

Post by phantomshark Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Ok, here's some steps to take to minimize the connection issues people seem to be having. Step one is to set up a static IP address on your PS3. First we'll deal with a wireless connection.

1. From the main dashboard, go to Settings>Network Settings>Settings and Connection Status List. Write down the following numbers:
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Router (should be the same as IP address except for the last number)
Primary DNS (Very likely the same as Default Router)
Secondary DNS (Likely 0.0.0.0)

2. From the dashboard again, go to Settings>Network Settings>Internet Connection Settings

3. Choose Custom, then press right on the D-pad

4. Choose Wireless, then press right on the D-pad

5. Under WLAN Settings, choose Enter Manually, then press right on the D-pad

6. For SSID, something is probably already filled in this box. If so, don't change it, just press right on the D-pad. If it's the first time you've connected wireless, you need to know the exact name of the wireless network connection you are connecting to, and enter it here

7. For WLAN Security setting, don't change what it's on. Most likely is WPA-PSK/WPA-PSK2. Again, if it's your first time connecting wireless, you need to know which one was set up for the network you are connecting to. Press right on D-pad

8. Assuming your security is WPA, the next screen is WPA key. It will most likely have something filled in, but you'll just see *********. Leave it what it is. Again, first time users will need to enter the password set up with the network. I don't know what will be here for the other options in step 7. Press right on the D-pad

9. Under IP Address setting, choose Manual. Press right on D-pad

10. Here's where you set your IP address. IP address is 4 numbers seperated by .s Most common is probably 192.168.1.x, but there are others. For your IP address, use the IP address you wrote down, but change the last part to something high (can be up to 255). I recommend 100. So if it was 192.168.1.3, enter 192.168.1.100 . For Subnet Mask, Default Router, Primary DNS, and Secondary DNS, these numbers should already be filled in with the values you wrote down in step 1. Leave them, or enter them if they are not filled in. Press right on D-pad

11. For MTU, choose Automatic. Press right on D-pad

12. For Proxy Server, unless you know you need one for some reason, choose Do Not Use. Press right on D-pad

13. For UPnP, assuming you have it turned on in your router, I'd choose Enable. Press right on D-pad

14. Press X button to save settings

15. Press X button again to 'Test Connection'. Everything should check out

In my next post, we'll deal with wired connection.

phantomshark
Pro
Pro

Back to top Go down

Here's some help with connection issues Empty Re: Here's some help with connection issues

Post by phantomshark Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:38 pm

For a wired connection, it's simpler.

1. From the main dashboard, go to Settings>Network Settings>Settings and Connection Status List. Write down the following numbers:
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Router (should be the same as IP address except for the last number)
Primary DNS (Very likely the same as Default Router)
Secondary DNS (Likely 0.0.0.0)

2. Go to Settings>Network Settings>Internet Connection Settings

3. Choose Custom. Press right on D-pad

4. Select Wired Connection. Press right on D-pad

5. Select Auto-Detect. Press right on D-pad

6. For IP Adress Setting, select Manual. Press right on D-pad

7. Here's where you set your IP address. IP address is 4 numbers seperated by .s Most common is probably 192.168.1.x, but there are others. For your IP address, use the IP address you wrote down, but change the last part to something high (can be up to 255). I recommend 100. So if it was 192.168.1.3, enter 192.168.1.100 . For Subnet Mask, Default Router, Primary DNS, and Secondary DNS, these numbers should already be filled in with the values you wrote down in step 1. Leave them, or enter them if they are not filled in. Press right on D-pad

8. For MTU, choose Automatic. Press right on D-pad

9. For Proxy Server, unless you know you need one for some reason, choose Do Not Use. Press right on D-pad

10. For UPnP, assuming you have it turned on in your router, I'd choose Enable. Press right on D-pad

11. Press X button to save settings

12. Press X button again to 'Test Connection'. Everything should check out

If you sometimes use wired and sometimes wireless, make sure you select the same IP address for both. Once you have both set up, you can switch by doing steps 2-5 and then just keep pressing right on the D-pad until the end. My next post will be setting up the PS3 as a DMZ.

phantomshark
Pro
Pro

Back to top Go down

Here's some help with connection issues Empty Re: Here's some help with connection issues

Post by Shlarman Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:47 pm

I'll have to try this out. For the comptards like me out there, what does this actually change/fix?

Shlarman
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shlarman Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm gonna do the wireless trick btw, in case the two do something diffrent

Shlarman
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by saastar Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:50 pm

mine is up and running now without doing any of this.. but playstation store isnt coming up

saastar
All Pro
All Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by phantomshark Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Once you have the PS3 set up with a static IP, the next step is to open all the ports between it and the router. We do this most easily by setting up the PS3 as a DMZ. Unfortunately, the method may vary by router, but I will explain how to do it in the most common way on a Netgear.

You will need to know the IP address you assigned to the PS3. You will also need to do this on the same computer used to configure the router initially. There's a couple of ways to get into the router setup depending on the router. Open IE or whatever browser you are using, and in the address window, try entering the Default Router Address that you got when setting up the PS3. A very common one is 192.168.1.1. If that doesn't work, try www.routerlogin.com. If that doesn't work either, try googling your router model for better instructions.

It will probably ask for a username and password. The default username is admin, the default password is password. Once you are in, you need to find the WAN setup. On most Netgears, the menu on the left contains a section called WAN Setup. Click that. One of the choices should say 'Default DMZ Server' and be unchecked. Check the box, and enter the IP address of the PS3 you set up earlier. Then click 'Apply'. Different routers may have different ways of doing it, but it should be something as simple as clicking a box and entering an IP address. Google your exact router model # and 'DMZ Server' if you have trouble figuring out how. That's it. This should solve a lot of lag issues and connection problems. Let me know if you have any questions.

phantomshark
Pro
Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by phantomshark Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Shlarman wrote:I'll have to try this out. For the comptards like me out there, what does this actually change/fix?

Well, the setting of the static IP address is to allow you to set it as a DMZ. If you do it without setting the IP address to static it'll work until you shut off the PS3 and then reconnect, if you reconnect with a different IP address it'll no longer be DMZ'ed.

phantomshark
Pro
Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by Rui_F Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:40 pm

If I may add something, unless its totally impossible please do not use the wireless connection during games but run a cable from your router to your ps3. While it may seem very old school wireless connections are great for browsing the internet or downloading stuff but games that need split second response times suffer. And the more crap is between your ps3 and your router the worse it will be. Had a friend a few years ago that finally figured out every time somebody used the microwave in the kitchen he would get dropped off the ea servers mid game.
Rui_F
Rui_F
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheddah_Cheez Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Rui_F wrote:If I may add something, unless its totally impossible please do not use the wireless connection during games but run a cable from your router to your ps3. While it may seem very old school wireless connections are great for browsing the internet or downloading stuff but games that need split second response times suffer. And the more crap is between your ps3 and your router the worse it will be. Had a friend a few years ago that finally figured out every time somebody used the microwave in the kitchen he would get dropped off the ea servers mid game.

I had that problem in college, but with my laptop not my PS3
Cheddah_Cheez
Cheddah_Cheez
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Here's some help with connection issues Empty RE:

Post by COsMiCTrAvO Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks for the info guys! Not really an issue for me often, but useful info nonetheless.
COsMiCTrAvO
COsMiCTrAvO
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by sam22smith Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 pm

phantomshark wrote:
Shlarman wrote:I'll have to try this out. For the comptards like me out there, what does this actually change/fix?

Well, the setting of the static IP address is to allow you to set it as a DMZ. If you do it without setting the IP address to static it'll work until you shut off the PS3 and then reconnect, if you reconnect with a different IP address it'll no longer be DMZ'ed.

What does being a DMZ do? It taps you into the larger EA network and therefore you have more access to the server/servers space which in turn lowers the risk of you getting booted? Or something.....
sam22smith
sam22smith
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rui_F Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:17 pm

It bypasses your firewall. Not recommended on a computer but not to many online attacks go after ps3. The safer way to do it is to open up the individual ports listed in the back of your madden manual.
Rui_F
Rui_F
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by sam22smith Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:09 am

Rui_F wrote:It bypasses your firewall. Not recommended on a computer but not to many online attacks go after ps3. The safer way to do it is to open up the individual ports listed in the back of your madden manual.

So the firewall impairs connectivity? How do I open up the ports listed in the madden book?
sam22smith
sam22smith
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rui_F Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:14 am

Depends on the router, and yes the firewall can at times impair connectivity with certain programs.
Rui_F
Rui_F
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by phantomshark Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:21 am

There is no way for a hacker to do anything to your PS3, so it's completely safe to DMZ it. DMZ stands for 'De-Militarized Zone', it simply allows full access from your PS3 to the internet and vice versa, without any adverse effects on the other items attached to your network (all your CPUs will still have firewall protection).

phantomshark
Pro
Pro

Back to top Go down

Here's some help with connection issues Empty RE:

Post by COsMiCTrAvO Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:26 am

phantomshark wrote:There is no way for a hacker to do anything to your PS3, so it's completely safe to DMZ it. DMZ stands for 'De-Militarized Zone', it simply allows full access from your PS3 to the internet and vice versa, without any adverse effects on the other items attached to your network (all your CPUs will still have firewall protection).

Good stuff man, I did not know that.
COsMiCTrAvO
COsMiCTrAvO
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mjkight Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:02 am

nerds...im so confused

Mjkight
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rui_F Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:14 am

phantomshark wrote:There is no way for a hacker to do anything to your PS3, so it's completely safe to DMZ it. DMZ stands for 'De-Militarized Zone', it simply allows full access from your PS3 to the internet and vice versa, without any adverse effects on the other items attached to your network (all your CPUs will still have firewall protection).

Iit is very rare a hacker could do any damage to your ps3...BUT a hacker who knows what they are doing can use a computer/ps3 (since it can run linux) in a DMZ situation as a bridge into your other systems who are behind a firewall if you are using certain network protocols. Me I cant do it but I have seen it done as a challenge of skill by the super nerds. Making blanket statements can get people hurt, while things can rarely happen doesn't mean they never happen.
Rui_F
Rui_F
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum