* Committed SIM play

* we play 12 months a year

est 2009
If you have any issues logging on or registering, see if GREENERRRR is in the website chat (and get instant feedback) or contact him directly at greenerrrr@ps3maddengroup.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

* Committed SIM play

est 2009
If you have any issues logging on or registering, see if GREENERRRR is in the website chat (and get instant feedback) or contact him directly at greenerrrr@ps3maddengroup.com
* Committed SIM play

est 2009
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
groupme

groupme ID 5302641
maddenfantasydraft.com chat

if you want to chat about league text GREENERRRR at (289)241-4968 and he will invite you to groupme chat

Differences vs AMERICAN & CANADIAN football

5 posters

Go down

Differences vs AMERICAN & CANADIAN football Empty Differences vs AMERICAN & CANADIAN football

Post by GREENERRRR Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:31 am

Child_Please4285 wrote:hey green a little of topic but do your HS team play with 11 or 12

CP asked this of me in anoither string -0 but i thought it be worthy of a thread of its own...

12 players - but we just moved to a full compliment of canadian rules this year... Prior seasons we played ALL CANADAIN RULES but 4 downs (which is the biggest difference in the game) - the weaker teams always complained that they could never have a managable offense with only 3 downs - but that was prooven wrong this year - the scores were only slightly down this year - and the game was way more wide open - a lot more passing than previous years//

Main difference in Canadaian to American Football:

-3 downs vs 4...
-12 men vs 11 men on the field...
-Endones are 20 yards (twice the size of end zone in the NFL -opens up the red zone considerably)...
-The field is 110 yards by 65 yards rather than 100 long and 53 yards wide (thats makes a lot more room on the edges - and the has marks are much wider too - so the WIDE SIDE OF THE FIELD U HAVE A TON MORE ROOM)...
-CFL ball is bigger than the NFL ball (takes a lil gettn use to - but no biggie)...
-The defense has to give 1 yard seperation to the offense at the LOS -(this means there is 1 yard minimum that seperates the offensive and defensive line)
-On punts you get a "5 yard no yard zone" - when u catch a punt there is a 5 yard perimeter around the ball catcher that the defenders cant breach - because of this rule there is no fair catches and there is ALWAYS A PUNT RETURN...
-U can only touch or jam recievers within 1 yard opf the LOS and not 5 yards..
-Punter or any1 behind him is always considered "onside" (because u are behind the ball when u punting it - this means you are onside - this allows the PUNTER to run down the field and he can ignore the 5 yard "no yards" around the punt returner and try to take the ball from him - the ball must travel at least 10 yards - but that makes an ONSIDE PUNT possible - BUT ONLY PLAYERS THAT can get the ball on an onside punt are the piunter and any1 who is behind the punter when he kicks it - so its a TUFF THING TO EXECUTE - even more so than an onside kick!
-The last person to touch the ball going out of bounds gets possession (our HS onsiude kick - is actaually a HIGH LOOPING kick to the edge of the side line - where we put all our tall basketball guys at the edge of the sideline - and they go for a jump ball and try to tip the ball out of bounds when they jump in the air - exciting play...
-Presnap motion is a lot different - in NFL only 1 player can be in motion before the snap - in the CFL all offensive backs (accept the qb) can be in motion - that means u can have 5 guys moving before the snap - u have your 5 OLINE set (and cant move) - and u must have 1 eligible reciever set (and cant move) on the LOS on each side of the ball before you snap - other than that guys can move around as much as they like presnap - generally you have a slot reciever who takes a running start at the LOS and the candence is timed so that when u snap the ball, he is at full speed and crossing the LOS - no way u can jam that player!
-The uprights are poistioned at the GOALINE and not the back of the endzone - (on Goaline plays you can actually utilize the GOALPOST AS AN ADDITIONAL BLOCKER!) - i have a couple plays thats are designed to be run just inside or outside the goal post...
- Any punts in the endzone or missed field goals in the end zone (and remember the end zone is 20 yards deep) must be returned out of the endzone and the returning team if they get the ball outof the endzone will scrimage where they return the ball to - or at least heir 30 - depending which is furthur - but yes it is possible to have a 129 yard punt return! If you fail to get the all out of the end zone on a punt or missed field goal the other team scores a "rouge" and gets a single point aka the "single"...
- If you are in a tied game and the other team kicks a punt through the end zone - they could score a single point to win - but if the other team fields the ball and sees that they cannot get the ball out of the endzon w/o being tackles, THEY CAN PUNT THE BALL BACK TO THE OTHER TEAM! - so you can have 2 punts on 1 single play - (actually happened to me in my HS SR year in a semi final gm) - the other team tried to punt through the end zone in a tied game in the diing seconds - i barely caught the punt at back of the end zone - i tried to start running it out but quickly saw that i was going to be able to get to the goaline - so i kicked the ball on the run - IT WAS THE UGLIEST DUCK OF A PUNT EVER - IT WENT ABOUT 14 YARDS HIT THE GROUND - AND BOUNCED OUT OF ENDZONE AND the other team - fell on the ball at like our 4 - (and would have had regain possession of the ball there but the clock had ran out and we ended up winning - only punt i have ever tried or ever will - but it was successful) - if the other team was smart - they wouldnt have jumped on the ball like a fumble (which they were "down" as soon a they hit the ground like all amateur football) - but if they would have fielded the ball - they could have ran it 4 yards back and scored a TD to win - Most Canadian kids watch only NFL so they dont know CFL rules - they must have wondered what the hell i was doing punting the ball back to the other team - it was utter confusion on field nobody knew what was going on accept me - the refs and the 2 opposing coaching staffs - every1 else was wondering wtf just hapened! Clearly IT PAYS TO KNOW THE RULES - it was after that game my HS Football Coach and Mentor -said to me "you are gonna end up being a foiotball coach someday!" lol

Last edited by GREENERRRR on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
GREENERRRR
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Differences vs AMERICAN & CANADIAN football Empty Re: Differences vs AMERICAN & CANADIAN football

Post by GREENERRRR Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:45 am

CFl training camps open up in a few weeks - the season will start in early JUNE - the NFL network always has a couple of CFL games on each year - u shoulkd check them out -the 3 downs make the game way more exciting in a passing perspective - the larger playing field makes plays WAY MORE WIDE OPEN - and the multi-player pre-snap motion creates all kinds of deception even before the play starts - many true footbll fans think (and i am 1 of them) - that the CFL rules make the game way more exciting than the NFL -

the NFL you can be successful with my style of madden offense - run for 3 yards - run for 3 yards - run for 4 yards = FIRST DOWN... or run on 1st and 2nd - and get a managable 3rd and less than 5 yards that u can convert easily!!! that doesnt work in the CFL with 3 downs - Generally you run the ball only to keep the other team HONEST - but than again - when u do run the ball - u have more field to work with - Could u imagine CJ running a toss to the wide side of the field in CFL rules? he could have 40+ yards to the sideline!!! What LB is going to be able to have the proper pursuit angle to catch him?? - and if he does widen his angle - he could drop a monstor cut back underneathe!!!!

Mobile QBs are a must in the CFL with a wide field - thats why WARREN MOON and DOUG FLUTIE were hugely successful CFLQBS (yes us Canadians saw the value of MOON and didnt let bias stand in the way of him being qb) - Could u imagine what MOON's numbers would be like if you added the 5 seasons he played in the CFL to his NFL numbers???? I would love to se VICK as a CFL qb - he is the prototypical CFL QB...

But not all geat NFL players end up being good CFL plaers - RICKY WILLIAMS played in the CFL during his suspension and he was a less thna average to medicore player - he did nothing spectcular - probably because he is more of power RB - not suited for the CFL - but if you took a receiving/speed back like Marshall Faulk or Thurman Thomas or even hell even a medicore recieving back like Kevin Faulk - he would eat up the CFL - style of play is definitely important - your skills have to compliment the type of field and the wide open game...
GREENERRRR
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Differences vs AMERICAN & CANADIAN football Empty Re: Differences vs AMERICAN & CANADIAN football

Post by Mjkight Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Well you forgot the main difference...

American football is better!!!!

USA USA USA

Mjkight
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mjkight Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:59 pm

tongue Wink Very Happy Very Happy

Mjkight
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fr8trainShane Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:27 pm

That explains the bigger end zone and the bigger field.
After the conversion you get our sizes.

Of course candian bowling has 5 pins and 3 balls.....

Its almost like I should finish that with a punchline

Fr8trainShane
Pro
Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by GREENERRRR Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Fr8trainShane wrote:That explains the bigger end zone and the bigger field.
After the conversion you get our sizes.

Of course candian bowling has 5 pins and 3 balls.....

Its almost like I should finish that with a punchline

it would be so easy to come back with an ugly american joke - but i just wont... but if any of the MG members want a Canadian Flag to sew on their Luggage, backpacks or outer-wear - just let me know (it will make your travel abroad more enjoyable and safer)
GREENERRRR
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post by GREENERRRR Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Mjkight wrote:Well you forgot the main difference...

American football is better!!!!

USA USA USA

I would say its 100% irrufruitable that the QUALITY OF PLAYERS is far superior in the NFL - no CFL player would pass up a chance to playin the NFL to play in the CFL - (unless you are that fool rocket ismail who the TORONTO ARGONAUTS got to pass up a 1st overall selection in the 1990's - but he did nothing in the CFL and did even less later in his carreer when he tried to rejoin the NFL)

but from a fan experience perpesctive (in relation to how the rules impact the game) - The CANDAIAN rules are superior to the AMERICAN rules - 3 downs creates more passing and more special teams plays - The no yards rule and wider field ensure that PUNTS are actually played (ending fair catches or angled punts out of bounds) and the Multiple back motion before the snap creates many new ways to attack the defense and create misdirection/player mismatch opportunities...

this summer watch for yourself (the NFL network always has a bunch of CFL games on - last year it was every Friday in june/july)...- one of the most concrete ways of comparing the two types of games is to compare the over/unders between the 2 LGs - not even sure what they would be (i am not a big gambler) - but i am certain the CFL is a much higher scoring game and would be significantly higher than the NFL....
GREENERRRR
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post by bjcole26 Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:44 pm

It is not even close to who has better talent... CFL is the NFL reject league or guys who could not play in the nfl.. As far as better experience, i guess it depends on what you are looking for.. CFL is like watching Arena football.
bjcole26
bjcole26
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fr8trainShane Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:51 pm

I think without question Canadian Football has a lot more talent then they get credit for. Just because most American's view the CFL as a much lessor league, there are always players that just don't get the chance..... and are studs.

I mean I have to imagine there are ton of Cameron Wakes, Doug Fluties.....just guys that don't get the shot for whatever reason.

The field and rules are completely different, and the movement presnap is more akin to the Arena Leagues.....who knows.

Fr8trainShane
Pro
Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by GREENERRRR Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:24 pm

bjcole26 wrote:It is not even close to who has better talent... CFL is the NFL reject league or guys who could not play in the nfl.. As far as better experience, i guess it depends on what you are looking for.. CFL is like watching Arena football.

add something to the conversation that hasnt been said or conceded - of course the CFL is filled with players that copuldnt make the NFLK - THAT IS OBVIOUS - any idiot would take the LG minimum in the NFL over the avergae salary in the CFL!!!

but from a pure enjoyment of the game perpective - CFL rules are much more fun than the NFL - unless you like watching my madden style offense! which more and more NFL teams are getting like - they run on 1st and 2nd down - get a managable 3rd and less than 5 conversion and make a high % short pass play to convert and than REPEAT IF THEY GET A FIRST DOWN - if they fail to convert, they punt the ball where it is angled out of bounds! (and the other team repeats the same offensive formula!) - from time to time some1 will try to sneak a playaction pass in on 1st down and thats the PLAY OF THE QUARTER! CFL rules do not permit you to be successful with this strategy - u have to open up the game to be successful - SPECIAL TEAMS ARE HUGE and have a monstor impact on the game - IT WOULD BE SPECACULAR to see NFL caliber athletes playn the CFL style game - it would never happen - but would be fantastic to see

As far a comparing it to ARENA FOOTBALL - that is the worst anaolgy ever- THE LARGER FIELD SURFACE HAS A HUGE IMPACT ON THE GAME - and of course arena football makes the NFL field look huge!!! - The CFL field is 15-20% wider than the NFL field - and the hash marks are closer to the side line in the CFL - so when u have a ball scrimaged on hash mark - u almost have the entire lengths of an ARENA FOORTBALL FIELD as the wide side of the field! This makes your angle of pursuit a lot more conservative - and the ability to cutback greater as well... comparing CFL football to arena football is dumb - its not even close...

As far as CFL players that could make an impact in the NFL - they are few and far between - WARREN MOON was unique situation where racism had more to do with MOON being shunned from NFL out of college - in the late 70's (eary 80's) - NFL teams just didnt think that a black person had the "intelligence" to play NFL football at QB (they were willing to give MOON a try out as WR or DB but not QB) - but the CFL saw the MOBILITY and ATHLETICISM of MOON's game as the perfect way to play QB in the CFL (the NFL valued only pocket passers then - and if u didnt fit that mold - they didnt value or want you) CFL didnt care what color of his skin was - he had the tools to be successful - btw - do u know where the underground railroad stopped???

DOUG FLUTUE situation is somewhat similar but the critics thought FLUTIE was too small to play QB in the NFL (at least it didnt have ugly racism as part of the dynamic) - and FLUTIE had some success in the NFL (but he was well past his prime when he made the move to the NFL) - and as a BILLS fan i truely believe if the BILLS stuck with DOUG FLIUTIE from day one = they would have been more successful... FLUTIE size was clearly a legitimate concern over MOONs racist critics (thats just hatred at its worst) - FLUTIE had intangibles - the "will to succeed" - he always found a way to win that hjelped him overcome his lack of size - and if he would have got a longer look by the PATS out of BC - i think he could have had a memorable NFL carreer - but the NFL loss was the CFL gain - he was the most exciting player to watch in the CFL in the 1990's / early 2000's - same with JEFF GARCIA he came from the CFL as well (HE WON MULTIPLE grey cups)- another mobile qb - HE HAD A COUPLE SOLID nfl SEASONS - but he got to the NFL late in his carreer (mid 30's)... but these players are the exception to the rule - generally any player that plays in the CFL couldnt catch on with an NFL team - often guys prefer the NFL teams practice roster to the CFL (because at least they have a chance to be in front of NFL coaches each week and possibly get discovered) - playn in the CFL - its hard transition to the NFL - but nevertheless you still are getting paid for what you love to do - but you better have plans for LIFE AFTER FOOTBALL BECAUSE U WONT HAVE ENOUGH $ TO RETIRE ON ATY THE END OF YOUR CFL CARREER! lol
GREENERRRR
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post by Fr8trainShane Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Actually Greenerrr, the past decade or more show the NFL getting farther and farther away from your style of offense. Since the early 90's the NFL has continued to become a pass oriented league.

CFL rules I think actually dumb down the game. The field is wider, which means there is less strategy. Anytime you have more room to operate, you take out the strategic aspect and it becomes a speed game. If anything, the size of the CFL field allows Madden to more emulate the CFL in that speed wins. Even worse, with the presnap movement (like the Arena League in the US) the offense has even more of an advantage.

The CFL rules actually make the game simpler, not more difficult. Whenever you allow a player to be at full speed prior to snap, have a wider field, and a much larger endzone, it dumbs down the game. Comparing the game to the arena league, only in the presnap movement, which is a perfect comparison.

Fr8trainShane
Pro
Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by slickmonkyz Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:18 pm

i used to watch a pretty good deal of cfl games ,, cfl used to be on espn during the day, during school times , yes i spent a great deal of time cutting school..lol..in the mid to late 80s there was 3 to 4 games on during the week, as i recall there were quite a few really good players in the lg at the time ,,the "pinball" guy i think..was a great returner as well, as of course flutie and moon . the diminsions of the field , and the placement of the wider hash marks makes it alot like the college game ,, alot more space for the defense to cover , then u add in the motion towards the line , so the defender cant chuck the recievers, and you have a much more open type of game,, again much like college, and yes ,, if moon were in the nfl from the get go,, he would hold most if not all passing records in the nfl..he was that good..i was and prob always will be a football nut so i didnt care what lg i was watching,, i also watched a good share of the europian football. the cfl was a fun game to watch ,albeit less talented players for the most part, but the difference in the rules made up for any lack of talent.. the cfl should get more play in the states , in the end football is football , arena football is a gimmick to fill hockey venues ,, we have one here in louisville, until we got arena football the hockey venue was used for cows and roping and cowboy shit,,again .. i know because i once had a job taking care of the damn nasty animals there ,, nothing like gion to work drunk and having to give cows baths for 8 hrs..lol
slickmonkyz
slickmonkyz
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by GREENERRRR Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:16 am

Fr8trainShane wrote:Actually Greenerrr, the past decade or more show the NFL getting farther and farther away from your style of offense. Since the early 90's the NFL has continued to become a pass oriented league.

CFL rules I think actually dumb down the game. The field is wider, which means there is less strategy. Anytime you have more room to operate, you take out the strategic aspect and it becomes a speed game. If anything, the size of the CFL field allows Madden to more emulate the CFL in that speed wins. Even worse, with the presnap movement (like the Arena League in the US) the offense has even more of an advantage.

The CFL rules actually make the game simpler, not more difficult. Whenever you allow a player to be at full speed prior to snap, have a wider field, and a much larger endzone, it dumbs down the game. Comparing the game to the arena league, only in the presnap movement, which is a perfect comparison.

that is close to the dumbest thing you have ever said... your football IQ is marginal - and your football experience is limited to maybe some highschool football (how much you played is only speculation) and playn madden where you are in the weaker 15% of the MG... but we are all intitled to our opinions - but i would rate any of your analysis at best as repeating "lip service" from something you hear or read elsewhere right up to absolute fiction... lol

- the examples u cited make the CFL game far more complex... the ability for more than one back to move prior to snap creates multiple presnap reads (both for the O and D both joker and legitimate) - 4 players can be moving at any1 time - THIS DOESNT MAK THE GAME SIMPLIER - any simpleton knows 4 guys moving is more complex than 1... you make a statements w/o thinkn them through and this one has just made you look like acompltete ASS!

The larger CFL fields moves the game away from SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL WHICH I REPRODUCE IN MADDEN AND WHICH YOU SO FOUNDLY DESPISE - (but thats the what you get with 4 down football) - my MADDEN OFFENSE is a result of 4 down football rules on a smaller field - if we were forced to play Madden under CFL conditions there would be no way in hell my kind of MADDEN offense would be successful - but it is successful because of the way NFL rules are set up... all you need to do is average 2.5 yards over 4 downs to get a first - hell there is a proffesor on the WEST COAST thats says u should NEVER PUNT in 4 down football and that u are ALWAYS better to go for it on 4th downs (on average) and he has real NFL data to back up his claims... - and i am sure if i ran my offense to his standard - I would have no problem getting my 2.5 yards per rush - but that wouldnt be very SIM - so i respect the MG 4th down rules - but the fact i can do it with our current 4th down rules only shows the weakeness in the rules for 4 down football - and if NFL coaches werent so worried about getting fired -0 i bet their would be more 4 down gambles in the NFL - but the fear of losing there jobs often creates more conservative play calling - but this whole weakness in the game could be offset simply by paying 3 down football! Which is a superior game - but granted this would never happen - traditionalistswould never move to make such a radial change even if it was 100% clear to every1 that the 3 down football was more xciting - and i am NOT SAYN THAT IS BAD - i believe tradition is a good thing - respecting how things have always been done is important - and in this case - i think the NFL rules have to respect that - even though its clear 3 down football is amore exciting brand of football...

larger endzone opens up play selection possibilties in the red zone - hell u can see the effects of the small end zones even in a weak simulation as madden - All any medicore player has to do is sit in a cover 2 in the red zone and rush 3-4 guys and the have a good chance at being successful on defense... (this is because there is no threat of a pass greater than 9 yards into the end zone which compresses the field of play - allowing the defenses to tighten their zones and play more agressively) - this ultimately makes play selection limited - DEEPER ENDZONES force the defense to cover a bigger area in the red zone - giving the offense more options (and the defensive must counter with more defenses to counter the increase in possible play selection) ultimatly this make the game more intuned with what happens at midfield - IF ANYTHING THE NFL GAME GETS DUMBED DOWN IN THE RED ZONE -and thats not congectiure or opinion - ITS 100% FACT!

Last edited by GREENERRRR on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
GREENERRRR
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post by GREENERRRR Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:09 am

slickmonkyz wrote:i used to watch a pretty good deal of cfl games ,, cfl used to be on espn during the day, during school times , yes i spent a great deal of time cutting school..lol..in the mid to late 80s there was 3 to 4 games on during the week, as i recall there were quite a few really good players in the lg at the time ,,the "pinball" guy i think..was a great returner as well, as of course flutie and moon . the diminsions of the field , and the placement of the wider hash marks makes it alot like the college game ,, alot more space for the defense to cover , then u add in the motion towards the line , so the defender cant chuck the recievers, and you have a much more open type of game,, again much like college, and yes ,, if moon were in the nfl from the get go,, he would hold most if not all passing records in the nfl..he was that good..i was and prob always will be a football nut so i didnt care what lg i was watching,, i also watched a good share of the europian football. the cfl was a fun game to watch ,albeit less talented players for the most part, but the difference in the rules made up for any lack of talent.. the cfl should get more play in the states , in the end football is football , arena football is a gimmick to fill hockey venues ,, we have one here in louisville, until we got arena football the hockey venue was used for cows and roping and cowboy shit,,again .. i know because i once had a job taking care of the damn nasty animals there ,, nothing like gion to work drunk and having to give cows baths for 8 hrs..lol

lol - u are talking about Mike PINBALL Clemons - an AMERICAN - he is a beloved player in TORONTO - but the ROC (Rest of Canada) hates pinball and his big grin! - often Canada is viewed by Canadaian as TORONTO and ROC - tORONTONIANS are seen as stuck up snobs that have all the advantages of an international city and dont appreaciate them by the ROC and toronotonians see the ROC as dumb fisherman in the east, poutine eating seperatists in Quebec, Hillbilly Cowboys in Saskatchewan /Alberta and pot smoking liberals in British Columbia - so it depends what part of the country you are in weather u like pinball or not (and yes shane its spelled coUntry - just because the USA spells it different than the rest of the world doesnt make it right - dont want you to get into another hissi-fit about my lackadasical attitude towards spelling - even though i am sure i spelled lackadasical wrong! but to reiterate - i wouldnt walk across the street to piss on your hair if it was on fire - so i am sure the hell not gonna look up a word to help ease your obsessive compulsiveness around spelling and typos! )
GREENERRRR
GREENERRRR
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down